Apple using patents to undermine open standards again

anestis
Μέλος του Κόμματος Πειρατών

Apple using patents to undermine open standards again

Δημοσίευσηαπό anestis » 14 Δεκ 2011, 22:57

A couple of years ago, I reported on how Apple was using patents to block a W3C specification.

The end-result was that the patent didn't seem to be relevant to the specification at all, and one or both of them were even rejected by the patent office. That Apple would use invalid or irrelevant patents or patent applications to block or delay an open standard seems odd, but if you look at their general behavior during the whole thing, it is easy to conclude that the intent was indeed malicious.

And while I didn't report on this (I suppose I should have), Apple actually used two patent applications to prevent a W3C standard from proceeding in 2010. This patent claim, too, seemed to have been filed at the very last minute, much like the patent claim in 2009.

As I mentioned, the submissions in question were still only patent applications, and Apple were basically saying that the claim covers not only the patent applications as they were then, but also "any claims that issue in any continuations, divisionals, continuations-in-part, reissues or other counterparts" in future versions of the applications.

Not exactly helpful.

Συνέχεια στο: http://my.opera.com/haavard/blog/2011/12/09/apple-w3c
info: Δυστυχώς, δεν έχω το χρόνο να διαβάζω όλο το forum.

Ό,τι γράφω είναι απλά & μόνο προσωπικές απόψεις.
"First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they attack you. And then they build monuments to you". (N.Klein 1918)

Επιστροφή στο

Μέλη σε σύνδεση

Μέλη σε αυτή την Δ. Συζήτηση: 1 και 0 επισκέπτες